PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Don't let your kids see this

Extracted from a report from the BBC:
Bread and jam boy put to the test
Craig Flatman says the thought of fruit and vegetables makes him sweat
A 15-year-old who has eaten little other than jam sandwiches for 11 years has had tests to see what effect they have had on his body.

The high sugar diet has not stunted Craig Flatman's growth or energy - he is 6ft 2in and a keen sportsman.

Dr David Rae, who carried out the tests, said all the results were "absolutely normal". "I have to say it surprises me a little," he said. "But there is no doubt that some of the results suggest you may be on the borderline of developing iron deficiency," Dr Rae added.

Craig has pledged to change his diet as much as possible.

It is not the first time Craig has been studied. Eight years ago, when a team in London looked into why he could not face any other food, he did diversify his diet a little, but soon slipped back into his old ways.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger kenju said...

Don't let my granddaughter "E" find out about this! That's about all she eats anyway, plus peanut butter.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger melinama said...

I knew a man in his 40s who had eaten no vegetable but corn (frozen or canned creamed corn both acceptable) his whole life. His enabling wife would frequently bring corn along for him to places she thought it would not be available.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids lived for years on little more than peanut butter and honey sandwiches and miscellaneous junk food. They're not the least bit athletic but that seems to be mainly a matter of motivation. They're entirely normal and healthy.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

This confirms something I've suspected for years: that your body will manufacture practically everything it needs out of thin air and whatever rubbish you happen to put into it. It's only when you put TOO MUCH in that it gets confused.

(This is a theory I made up when I realized I was eating spaghetti for dinner five times a week. I didn't want to learn another recipe.)

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man why couldn't I have had parents like that?!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Paula said...

I've always subscribed to Badaunt's theory. Hence, my diet of tea and sugar cookies. I'm only the slightest bit jittery, releallaly.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Has he never read "Bread and Jam for Frances"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home