PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, May 30, 2005

Excellent wedding poetry

The Mappamundi gang did a wedding at the rustic "Spruce Pine Lodge" yesterday. Did you know the new craze is to play badminton at the reception, by the way?

The bride had been very stingy with us - she underpaid severely, and we didn't get any food - but we did get to chuckle at a poem I have not heard read in a wedding ceremony before, to whit this one:

Tin Wedding Whistle
by Ogden Nash

Though you know it anyhow
Listen to me, darling, now,

Proving what I need not prove
How I know I love you, love.

Near and far, near and far,
I am happy where you are;

Likewise I have never larnt
How to be it where you aren't.

Far and wide, far and wide,
I can walk with you beside;

Furthermore, I tell you what,
I sit and sulk where you are not.

Visitors remark my frown
Where you're upstairs and I am down,

Yes, and I'm afraid I pout
When I'm indoors and you are out;

But how contentedly I view
Any room containing you.

In fact I care not where you be,
Just as long as it's with me.

In all your absences I glimpse
Fire and flood and trolls and imps.

Is your train a minute slothful?
I goad the stationmaster wrothful.

When with friends to bridge you drive
I never know if you're alive,

And when you linger late in shops
I long to telephone the cops.

Yet how worth the waiting for,
To see you coming through the door.

Somehow, I can be complacent
Never but with you adjacent.

Near and far, near and far,
I am happy where you are;

Likewise I have never larnt
How to be it where you aren't.

Then grudge me not my fond endeavor,
To hold you in my sight forever;

Let none, not even you, disparage
Such a valid reason for a marriage.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger kenju said...

Great poem; I will print and offer it to brides who come to see about my services!

Sorry you were not fed; that's terrible.

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This poem is by Ogden Nash. Thought you'd like to know. Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home