PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, May 13, 2005

Living Over a Bathing Establishment

I'm leaving shortly for three days in the hospital with my son. Not sure I'll be able to find an internet connection there...

On a newish blog called Fascinating History, I found this: Seneca the Younger, a Roman writer, complaining about his living situation.
"I live over a bathing establishment. Picture to yourself now the assortment of voices, the sound of which is enough to sicken one...

When the stronger fellows are exercising and swinging heavy leaden weights in their hands, when they are working hard or pretending to be working hard, I hear their hissing and jarring breathing.

When I have to do with a lazy fellow who is content with a cheap rubdown, I hear the slap of the hand pummelling his shoulders, changing its sound according as the hand is laid flat or curved.

If now a professional ball player comes along and begins to keep score, I am done for.

Add to this the arrest of a brawler or a thief, and the fellow who always likes to hear his own voice in the bath, and those who jump into the pool with a mighty splash as they strike the water.

In addition to those whose voices are, if nothing else, natural, imagine the hair plucker keeping up a constant chatter in this thin and strident voice, to attract more attention, and never silent except when he is plucking armpits and making the customer yell instead of yelling himself.

It disgusts me to enumerate the varied cries of the sausage dealer and the confectioner and of all the peddlers of the cook shops, hawking their wares, each with his own peculiar intonation."
Thanks, Alterior!


Technorati Tags: ,

16 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I hope that everything turns out OK

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Here via Michele's to send all good wishes to you and your son for the coming days in hospital.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger phoenix said...

Came in to catch up on my daily reads and see that you will be gone to be with your son. Hope all is well. Hugs.

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - also here via Michele's. I hope all goes well with your son's surgery!

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here via Michele's. Best of luck with your son's surgery. What a trouper!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

Michele sent me, and I would have come sooner if I had known. Please accept my best wishes and concern and love and hope, for it is all I can offer from across the miles. How fortunate that the internet can allow us to do that; I keep telling my kids it's magic.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Michele sent me! Your son is in my thoughts and prayers. Sending lots of good wishes your way!!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

Very interesting post. I hope that your stay in the hospital goes well and that you come out better and healthier then ever. Great site.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Jugglernaut said...

Sending strong thoughts your way!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Walking Barefoot said...

Sending blessings and good wishes today. Speedy recovery to the son and strength and endurance to Mom.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

Here from Michele's, sending my prayers and best wishes to you!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Your son is in my thoughts/prayers today. Hope all goes well. ♥

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I bet your son's a tough cookie. He be fine. You too.

Best to you both.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger poopie said...

Prayers to you and your son. ^j^

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

Plucking armpit hair? OUCH!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger EdWonk said...

We will remember you both in our prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home