PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Burrito therapy

I like the keen psychological approach Burritophile Dan takes as he answers the question: "If your spouse-to-be doesn't like burritos, what do you do?"
"The first rule is, don't immediately cancel the wedding. ... Try to get to the root of the problem. Ask questions and remember to use lots of "I" statements. Here are some examples to get you started."

"I wonder if you've never had a good burrito. What kind of burritos have you had?"

"I think that your response means that you may have eaten lots of Taco Bell. Why didn't you tell me about this problem, so we could work on it together?

"I feel bad when you talk about burritos in that way. Why do you insist on hurting me?"

"I think that anyone who doesn't like burritos is an idiot. Why did you lie to me about having a college degree?"

"I am wondering why I am sitting here, given that you do not like to eat burritos. Can you give me four good reasons?"

"I am thinking that you are perhaps not the person I'd like to spend my life with. The only way we can change this is by going to get a burrito right now. Where would you like to go?"

"Notice how the conversation is redirected to exactly where you'd like it to be. Any conversation that ends with both parties getting a burrito is a good one."
Read the entire article for more.

Technorati Tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home