PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, August 12, 2005

A few more sayings from Norway, Maine

Here is the third and final batch of tidbits from "The Best of Lost & Forgotten Maine & New England Folk & Literary Sayings, Expressions, & Terms" by Peter Lenz, historian of Norway, Maine. (See Part One and Part Two.) Ordering information at the bottom of this post...

There's no pocket in a shroud
You can't take it with you when you die.

Church-mauled
For his scandalous behavior he was brought up before the
Deacons and church-mauled
strongly reproved/reprimanded by the Church Board

Enough to gag a maggot
Why, the way he's let his house go it's 'nuf to gag a maggot
Extraordinarily firty, filthy, disgusting, revulsive

Makebayt (makebate)
One who's proven to be a malicious slanderer, a breeder of quarrels.

dunky
Now are you gonna wear that dunky suit to meetin' today?
an overly thick, clumsy object

scaramouch (scaramouche)
Why you scaramouch you! I'll not be having meself humiliated any more by the like of you!
A swaggering, lazy coward

suck in
He's been cynical ever since I knowed him and thinks all life's
naught but a giant suck in.
A cheat, fraud, sham, deception

And finally, one that reflects a hope I've been having lately:
Old friends are always best unless you can catch a new one that's fit to make an old one out of

Peter has compiled three more volumes of sayings, plus many other books about Maine. You can contact him at dinglefuzzie@yahoo.com or:
Peter A. Lenz
64 Roberts Road
Norway Maine 04268

Technorati Tags: , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger Star said...

Hi Melinama. Michele sent me. I enjoyed the Maine-speak. It is goodd that you provide the explanations , but I think they make their point quite succinctly.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger melinama said...

Hi Star,

Those aren't my comments, they are Peter's, I was just quoting from his book...

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new friend worth making an old friend out of is my fav of that set.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger kenju said...

I grew up saying "gag a maggot" and I'm from WV.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home