PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Humility

Here's a rerun of one of my favorite jokes:
A bishop, a priest, and a peasant were in a great European cathedral.

The bishop approached the altar rail, beat on his chest and declared, "I am nothing! I am nothing!" Then the priest approached the altar rail, beat on his chest and declared, "I am nothing! I am nothing!"

The humble peasant was moved to imitate the bishop and the priest, so he approached the altar rail, beat on his chest and declared, "I am nothing! I am nothing!"

The priest turned furiously and hissed into the bishop's ear, "Who the hell does he think he is?"

UPDATE: I noticed after posting this joke that the author had spelled "altar" as "alter." This clue reinforced my suspicion that, despite the personnel and the location, what we have here is actually a Jewish joke.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Blogger Michael Gilleland said...

A funny joke, but also amusing is the image of the priest hissing into his own ear:

The priest turned furiously and hissed into the priest's ear, "Who the hell does he think he is?"

Maybe the bishop hissed into the priest's ear or vice versa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home