PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

My challah recipe

Cause some folks asked...
Challah

2 T yeast
1-1/2 c warm water
1/4 c sugar or honey
6+ cups flour (can be part whole wheat)
2 ts salt
1/2 c melted butter or oil
3-4 large eggs

Put yeast in the warm water with honey and 2 cups of flour (if you're using part whole wheat, use that now). Beat with a wooden spoon 100 times and let sit for twenty minutes.

Then add the eggs (more eggs makes a more tender and rich dough), melted butter or oil, and salt. Add 5+ cups flour and knead, knead, knead.

Add additional flour cautiously - softer dough results in a more tender challah - but if it's too soft the braids will melt together.

(Sometimes I use three eggs and one yolk in the dough and save the egg white of the fourth egg for glazing.)

Let the dough rise an hour or more - punch down - let it rise again.

Punch down one more time and divide into twelve little balls as even as possible.

Turn them into ropes, letting them rest if they get too rubbery to stretch out. Braid.



Repeat with the other six ropes. Glaze with egg white and sprinkle sesame seeds or poppy seeds if you are inclined.

Bake at 350 for, hmm, about 35 minutes? Look at it and you'll know.

And here is my excellent rugelach recipe...

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

I beg to differ, about the "you'll know when it's done." This is really only to say that Melinama and I will know, and even I, Melina, have been known to stick a fork covertly into a seam in a challah loaf where I think it won't show, to test whether it's done or not. When it's done, the outside will be stiff and medium brown. The loaf will feel light. The fork will come out clean and the bread will not feel squishy at the seam where you stick the fork in...

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger MaryB said...

Ooh, you had me till you got to the math part! I'd have to hire someone to keep track of the braids (although I was a great maypole braider as a kid - think that'd help?).

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

I love the movie! Where did you get that?

Now I have to try to fix my own challah!

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Batya said...

Sorry. You have a kashrut problem. There is a halacha that bread, including challah, shouldn't be made dairy.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger melinama said...

Well, we always felt that if the meal was vegetarian, it wouldn't matter, but ok, you can use oil if you want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home