PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, November 18, 2005

Pumpkin squares (for the piecrust challenged)

Personally I love making piecrust but if it frightens you, this recipe tastes just like the old pumpkin pie recipe on the can, but without the rolling pin etc.

Pumpkin Squares

2 cups flour
1 cup oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup (or a bit less) melted butter
pinch salt

1 15-1/2 ounce can pumpkin (that's the small size)
1 can (13-1/2 oz) evaporated milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 ts salt
1 ts cinnamon
1/2 ts ginger
1/2 ts cloves

Mix the first five ingredients and press into a non-stick lasagna pan. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.

Mix the rest of the ingredients, pour them over the crust, and bake at 350 for about half an hour more. It will puff up and look and smell and taste just like pumpkin pie.


Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

OK, I've got to ask: you get pumpkin in CANS? Not just slice up pumpkin, skin and boil?

Sorry, just find the concept really odd. Is it like a mashed vegetable? Is anything added?

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Yes, a mashed vegetable! Like baby food!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

Ah - not available in Australia or the UK. It strikes me as odd since one of the points of the pumpkin is that it keeps in its skin for a very long time, but since it is a pain to peel that skin, I suppose a canned version makes sense.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

PS How large is a can? The normal (something like two cups) size, or large - yes I am thinking of trying the recipe!

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger kenju said...

Yes, I need to know the size of the can too. Some of them are larger than others.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger melinama said...

Sorry, I've added the size to the recipe now. Thanks for pointing it out.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

Thanks! If - and that is a largish if - I do try it (only very rarely into cooking) I'll let you know how it goes.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

Worked pretty well, thanks! Experience with American food tells me it is always way too sweet for my taste, so I left the sugar out of the "pie" base, and it was about right for me. And I just used ordinary mashed pumpkin.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can this recipe be doubled?

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just cruising the net for recipes and stumbled upon yours. I have advice for all those around the world about "PEELING" a pumpkin! Here is what I do so I don't have to deal with the tough skin. Cut pumpkin in half (along the equator), clean out the inside (save the seeds and roast them!!!) place two halves into a lasagna pan, cut side down, and pour about 1 litre of water in the pan place in a medium oven and leave in about 1 hour, test by inserting a sharp knife through the skin, if it goes in easily the pumpkin is ready. LEAVE in the oven, turn oven off until the pumpkin has absorbed the water that remains. Allow to cool either in the oven or fridge, scrape the insides out an put it into a food processor, puree, store in fridge, or can until ready to use! Simple, easy, MUCH BETTER THAN CANNED!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home