PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Melina and Melinama: people are confused

Hi all,

I want your opinion. Is it too confusing that there are two of us writing here with names that look almost the same?

My daughter used to call herself Melina in high school. If you want to know why, you'll have to ask her. So when I began this blog last January and it asked for a name, I called myself Melinama (ma of Melina, you see).

Then people thought I'd written MELANOMA, very distressing.

Then my daughter started blogging WITH me, and now people are all confused.

They think I have a boyfriend named Yankl. Actually I have no boyfriend at all. Yankl is my daughter's boyfriend. I'm hoping she'll post his avatar for all to see...

So, do you think I should drop my pseudonym and just be Jane, as I am in real life?

Please comment!

Melinama (aka Jane)

6 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never confused you and Melina, nor had problems with your chosen noms de blog. The only puzzle I've had with Melinama was figuring out on which syllable to put the emphasis.

I blog under my real name, which suits me just fine. Some people choose not to because they want some anonymity, but you've provided plenty of links to the rest of your life here.

Melinama is more unusual than Jane, if that matters to you. You could always use Zedma...

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

I find us confusing :)

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger CGHill said...

I've had no trouble distinguishing between the two writers.

Now if a third variation appears, I'm going to complain. :)

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I, too, knew the diff. At the same time, I think I sent you, Jane, an email, questioning how you came up with the derivative Melinama...or not questioning, rather, affirming.

You both have very distinctive voices; I've no doubt I'd be able to discern between the two of you, regardless...

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit that sometimes I had to take a double look to figure out the poster. Lately I would look at the bottom first, but I think it is confusing at first.

I was given the nickname Wifebert by a friend of my husband. It was inspired by Dilbert, who puts -bert after alot of things. But you probably knew that. People would assume it was Wifebeater. I thought if I used Wife-bert it would be clearer, but at the point where I really needed a nick name, it did not really apply. What if you did the same? Melina-Ma? Or MaofMelina?

But I think Jane would be great. I went with my name and a picked a new nickname for my blog since I wanted it to be my space. Everywhere else I am Donna's daughter, Mark's wife, XXXX's Mom, Lee's sister, the lady who works with so-and-so... You get the point.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave your name as MELINAMA it is more unique than just simply jane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home