PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Deerfence breach update.

UPDATE: Immediately after I posted my vent about the deer which, much against my will, spent the night inside my fence, I dressed for battle in scruffy clothes and work boots. Halfway down the stairs I could already see the interloper through the kitchen window, masticating in his antlered glory.

I snuck out the back door hoping to get behind him and urge him towards the open gate, but at once I saw two problems. One, there were TWO deer. Two, they were determined to head in the opposite direction. I watched helplessly as they threw their bodies against my fence over and over, boinging off and trying again.

Finally, with a glorious coordinated effort (probably an accident) they sailed in the same direction at the same time. Throwing themselves simultaneously at a closed gates, they broke it off its hinges - in fact broke it in half - and disappeared, crashing through the woods.

I looked ruefully at the damage they left behind, then went and got stepladder, rope and scissors. Luckily the air was balmy. It was still pretty dark, but silent and lovely. I very much enjoyed tying up the fence and the broken gate. The repair would probably remind you of a crazed and inept spider's web but I beamed at it proudly.

An hour later a cold wind was blowing; soon it was sleeting and worse. I was back in the house, smug and warm.

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

I've just been talking with a friend who has a Japanese marten coming into her house and terrorizing her cat. After a marten encounter the cat needs a shampoo and the house needs deodorizing. So does my friend, as often as not. The marten really gets around.

I can't figure out which is worse. Deer? Marten? Sometimes I'm glad to be in the concrete jungle, where the biggest problem is door-to-door salespeople and stray cats, and the occasional itachi. (And the itachi only came in once, and that was into the ceiling, where they didn't bother us and moved out when it got too hot in summer.)

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so frustrated and disgusted with the deer eating my plants. We're vegetarians, but we're ready to eat a little venison, if you get my drift. I enjoyed your writing about the "deer fence breach"...it was nice to have a little chuckle.Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home