PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Thursday, July 06, 2006

The best fruit tart I ever made (or ever ate)

Zed and I went to dinner and got fed grilled rack of lamb and many other fine delicacies. I took this tart, and whipped some cream, and watched it get sucked up at lightning speed. Very satisfying. I'm going to try to type it up for you before the thunderstorm we're having takes the electricity away.

Strawberry and Peach Tart

I made this in a tart pan but you don't have to.

Crust:
1-1/2 c. flour
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
10 tablespoons of butter, cut in chunks
one extra-large egg-yolk (reserve the white)
1 tablespoon (or a little more) of sour cream

I threw all the ingredients in the food processor and whirred till they held together a bit, then dumped them in the tart pan and pushed the dough around with my fingers and up the shallow sides of the pan. I then pricked the dough with a fork, used the reserved egg white to glaze it (so the fruit wouldn't soak into it), refrigerated it for 20 minutes and then cooked it at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes - till it was nicely browned, it doesn't get any more cooking.

Filling
4 cups of sliced strawberries and peaches
1 cup of water
3/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
dash of salt
juice of a lemon

Mix the cornstarch with the salt and sugar in a saucepan, and then dissolve that powdery mixture in a little bit of water. Gradually add more water and heat it till it boils (I don't hold with this fussy double-boiler nonsense). Stir, stir, stir or it will get lumpy. Add the lemon's juice. It's done when it's no longer milky looking, but is clear. Stir in all the fruit gently, I cooked it for maybe 30 seconds and then turned the whole mass out into the cooked tart shell.

Chill for about an hour. Serve with whipped cream.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home