PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, December 02, 2006

A good Hannukah present: "Souls are Flying," Jewish short stories

I don't think I've ever plugged a product, but I'm recommending the paperback Souls Are Flying! Jewish Short Stories by Sholem Aleichem, I.L. Peretz and Jacob Dineson collected and retold by Scott Hilton Davis, my friend and fellow Yiddish maven and also executive director of WUNC-TV.

That link takes you to lulu.com, where you can order a copy and they make it for you and send it to you. What a cool system!

A couple days ago Melina linked to an article in the Jewish Forward which mused that few American Jews have any connection to the shtetl any more. The stories in Scott's collection are moving, fascinating on many levels, and connect you to a past none of us will ever experience. Highly recommended.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home