PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, April 02, 2007

Hannah: Wise Thoughts Upon Planning a Road Trip Out Of Manhattan (And Also On Planning a Career Change)

Several summers ago, I spent a weekend hiking by myself in the Yorkshire Dales. I made friends with a seventy-year-old guy who was staying at the same youth hostel as I was. I asked him advice on walking directions, and we compared notes. At the end of our conversation, we wished each other luck, and I must have looked like I wasn't sure if I could remember the directions he gave me. His face suddenly wrinkled into a grin, and in an almost unintelligible English countryside accent he reassured me:

"The hardest part of any trip is getting owt o'the village!"

2 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Alma said...

Great advice! Been with the same company for 14 years now, so I know that the longer you stay, the harder it is to get up and leave.

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Great advice for anyone. I'm adding that to my quote collection. [I have several journals filled with quotes that have struck my fancy.] Thanks for sharing. ~~~Susanlynn, who never got out of the village

 

Post a Comment

<< Home