PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Westlin' Winds: free mp3 download

I spent a lot of yesterday trying to figure out what I could overdub on the viola to go with this song:

Westlin' Winds
By Robert Burns.
(Click the link and you can listen to it or save it onto your computer.)

Dick Gaughan recorded the song perfectly a long time ago and Bob recorded this version last Sunday.

(He changed the words a little to take out the "murdering cry" and the "fluttering gory pinions" which are part of shooting birds in the autumn.)

I was so self-conscious about the viola line, I kept fiddling with it to make it sound far away (did not want it to be a bossy part).

This will go on our new wedding sampler called "Hearts' Delight." (We really want to get some more wedding gigs.) As soon as we finish this, we're going back to the murder ballads.

Appreciate any feedback. How is the balance on your speakers? Too much or too little vocal, guitar, viola? Did I overdo it and suck the life out of the viola sound? (I can always go back and replace it.)

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounded great to me. Interesting to hear a Burns lyric without a brogue. Makes it more contemporary.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I really liked it too. I might have liked that viola a little louder, even (as a violist I'm partial...). It really added a lot of atmosphere.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Hi Melinama:
I liked it a lot. The viola added a lot of depth without overpowering the guitar.

 
At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great!I like it very much.But I intended to find free-down-load mp3 stroies,so do you know where to get that.If you know ,please tell me.My email is:xiaoshuang.362@hotmail.com Thanks!

 
At 3:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruined by removing the whole duality of life and love, the juxtaposition of the starkness and harshness of life with the tenderness of love. Burns really doesn't require "cleaned up". Apart from that very nice sound. Brian

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Daithi said...

Very nice. You should listen to the version by Helena Espvall, Meg Baird and Sharron Kraus from their album Leaves from Off the Tree. Its amazing and it has a really good cello line. Its available on iTunes. Well worth the money, best album I've heard in awhile!!

Daithi(eire)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home