PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

We frame the donkey shed


We dug the foundation and I poured the concrete (putting the bolts in a somewhat incorrect position) on a previous day; when the concrete cured, Bob lapped the 4x6s in the corners and bolted them to the foundation. Today began with framing up the back wall.


Here the front and back walls are up and braced. Next, the header.


Bob brought over this header from a demolished house and it fit perfectly.


"We" nailed on the purlins and the tin. Actually I am fairly incompetent - that is to say, I know how to do a lot of stuff, and do it (see the chicken coop), but it never comes out perfectly. So when we work together I mostly hold - and compliment - while Bob does all the work.



I had a sketch I found online of an Appalachian shelter with an overhang that was like this only not as good. Bob sort of stared at the picture for a while and then invented a better way to do it.





So this is how far we got today. Tomorrow, the side walls and purlins. Then we'll be ready for siding.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger Alma said...

Amazing! I can't even hit a nail straight, so I am in awe of you and Bob for taking on this big project -- and doing such a great job... It's a thing of beauty, I tell ya!

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto. Absolutely marvelous. Bob is a good friend. I hope you both feel proud of your project...what a team!

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent !! Habitat for Humanity is looking for you and Bob. Your donkey will be living better than some folks. And, I like your style Melinama...''Hold and compliment.'' I think that this is good advice that could apply to many other situations in life. I'm writing it down right now.

 
At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bought a house in January an hour from Seattle and got my first renters a few days ago. The roofline for your donkey shed is exactly what I want for the carport I'm planning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home