PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Dixie Draft Horse, Mule, and Carriage Auction, Troutman NC

I spent a few hours yesterday at the Iredell County Fairgrounds watching a staggering number of people buying and selling rusty farm implements, lead ropes by the gross, things I could not possibly identify, and expensive horse-drawn carriages.


There were many Mennonite (or Amish?) vendors present, from Ohio and Pennsylvania and perhaps further afield; they are royalty in this kingdom.

Here you see a couple of the ladies who took down our information; we attendees stood in line to show drivers' licenses and get our special Buyer Numbers written large in Magic Marker (so the auctioneers can identify winners) -- and lots of space for writing down our purchases.



There were scores of auctioneers. They spelled each other in the barns, on stages, and on golf carts which inched down the rows of stuff. They could all do that fast-pitched warbling and yodeling that urges the onlookers to spend just a little bit more than they thought they could. Still, many items went for just a couple of bucks.

Carriages, though, went for thousands - harnesses and saddles went for multiple hundreds. You certainly needed to know what you were doing to make out well here.



There were only three donkeys that I saw. Here is one of them.

If you want to see all this stuff in more detail, click on the pictures for larger versions.




























Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Blogger Schoolmarm said...

You take wonderful photos, Melinama, and the subject of these was fascinating. Some of those folks were definitely Amish, judging by the buggies. But the women could have been either from the Mennonite Church (Old order Mennonite) or Amish. I only know this because for years I attended a General Conference Mennonite Church that had merged with a "Mennonite Church" conference group, and we had ladies with the prayer caps and all. It's hard to tell now, though, because the dress is almost identical and the Amish will travel in vans if someone who is not Amish drives, I have heard.

The combination of folks is really interesting. Why does anyone want rusted old farm implements? I guess one man's junk.....

Schoolmarm Jeanne

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People collect old farm equipment. My sister just had an auctioneer come to our farm and haul away all our dad's old tractors and other farm implements. She said that she cried every time they hauled a load down the lane. I couldn't even be there. I purposely stayed away. I couldn't bear the thought of the things that my dad used and loved being sold. She was disapponted at the amount they sold for , but I expected less. The auctioneed told us that the market for these old pieces is dropping as older collectors die. I guess the young people are not as interested .

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your photos!
My husband and I go to both the spring and fall sales and have been going for the past 10 yrs and before it moved from the Winston Salem fair grounds.

The last one was pretty messy though, with all the rain and mud, but we still enjoy seeing all the familiar faces.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger yzoldowl said...

I also love the pictures -- but what on _earth_ is that Rube Goldberg contraption third down from the shot with the wooden Indian?! Got me stumped...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home