PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, November 11, 2007

A fabulous actor.

Last night I watched Kinky Boots, a movie which, judging by the trailer I'd seen earlier, was going to be completely formulaic. It was - all the beats were where you expected them to be - it reminded me of the crushing way my father used to call out from the living room at 22.5 minutes into the half hour: "Is Lassie rescuing Timmy?" Yes, she always was.

However, I was surprised and moved by a really great acting job. Chiwetel Ejiofor, who plays Lola, a drag queen who saves a shoe factor (I know, I know), was fabulous. He was completely convincing, charismatic, he sang and danced wonderfully, and was sexy as a man and as a woman both! His diction was gorgeous. His other movies are immediately going on my queue.

.

3 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this actor a lot, too. He made me sit up and take notice in Dirty Pretty Things. He was amazing. Since then I've seen him in a couple of other movies (Talk To Me and Serenity) and some BBC mystery series. I meant to see Kinky Boots when it came out but forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've passed this movie by when I've run into it while channel-surfing, but I will make it a point to watch it at the next opportunity. I was watching ''East Enders'' a long-running British soap opera before I fell down the rabbit hole of Mexican telenovelas never to return. That show had a certain charm. I liked the little window that it provided to middleclass English life. I am looking forward to seeing ''Love in the Time of Cholera'' which opens tomorrow.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Thanks guys! Let me know how Love in the Time of Cholera is...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home