PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A "Rocking New Year's Eve Donkey Party" in Texas

From the donkey list:
Savannah and I danced around the corral, slowly, with me saying "over, over over," her shiny black hooves stepping over the other.

I tell you, they were all pretty excited about New Year’s eve as I had built it up to them for several days.

Smokey the horse who had had a nasty knot in his tail yesterday that required several hours of non stop attention, nervously kept checking by nosing under his blanket, just in case another knot had formed. He loved the attention.

The festive dinner was a nice mix of, well, dinner and some torn up bread slices, garnished with dried cranberries. I was saving peppermints and fresh orange slices for the strike of midnight.

Stash had already lay down, he was beaten up several times today by Gisele who had recently realized she was a mammoth and could swing around and broadside him then kick him several times before running away.

JLo looked longingly to the house and the Styrofoam things I had put over the spigots, she was dreaming about tomorrow, the new year, the first opportunity she would have to tear into them, she could almost feel the Styrofoam in her teeth.

It was hard to tell what Vienna was thinking, she chewed thoughtfully on her hay, looking like she was in the donkey whorl, thinking donkey thoughts, one can only imagine what those thoughts are.

As for me, I was grateful for a year of donkeys, hoping I had been a good steward and there is no question of my loyalty to them. And the new year ahead of me, perhaps JLo had a foal for me, perhaps I would discover some new donkey things, I began to sing in the crisp cold air, “the stars at night, are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas,” and so it goes here at the Double Dot, all my donks and Smokey the horse, Dot dog the dog and Deucie the resident cat and Cotton the disturbed, weird cat and little Squeaky cat, the inherited cats and I wish ya’ll a happy healthy new year!

Lee (the one partying in Texas)

Technorati Tags:

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Schoolmarm said...

We stayed for nine nights in a Hampton Inn in Central Illinois during the holidays. On the inside door of one of the elevators was a lovely, large, black and white photo of two donkeys on a road in the middle of nowhere. The caption was simply, "Road Warriors." I thought of your donkey every time I got onto that elevator, Melinama.

Jeanne

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Ooh, I wish you'd STOLEN it for me! Maybe I'll try to find it online...
Thanks!

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Schoolmarm said...

De nada. It was pretty firmly attached to the door....so online is probably a better bet.

:-)

Jeanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home