PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Junk Mail Calumny of the Month

This pile comprises the unwrapped contents of one (1) unsolicited mailing I received this week. Papers, plastic liners, plastic wrappers, and a cheap pen, all in a cardboard box wrapped in plastic! Grr! I wrote the following complaint (via email to save paper) to the senders:

These days everybody, very much including anybody who contributes to charitable organizations, must be aware (1) how much unnecessary, wasteful, non-biodegradable material is generated in the US; (2) how many charities misuse or waste the funds they are gifted with.

Your recent mailing of cheap pens packed in cardboard boxes and surrounded with plastic liners and wrappers galore was a disgrace. This display of environmental and fiscal irresponsibility disgusts me. Stop wasting your donors' money in ridiculous, lavish fundraising.


Bet I get another one.

.

1 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger fillyjonk said...

I have a personal pledge never to give money - no matter how noble the mission - to any organization that spends part of that money in sending gew-gaws and using excessive packaging. (And I have told them such, either when they call to solicit money from me over the phone, or in an e-mail after I receive their latest offerings).

I do not like the implication that I should feel "guilty" because they spent however much money on rounding up "stuff" to send me. I didn't ask for it, I don't want it, I'd much rather they spent the buck or whatever on the actual mission.

(I also don't give money to places that cold-call me on the phone, but that's a totally different issue. I don't like being disturbed in my home, usually in the evening when I'm reading or trying to get caught up for the next day. And I tell them that.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home