PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

[New York]: Beer Bread

It's a little stressful around the NYC Bureau of Pratie Place these days - my self soothing tactic is bread baking. I've gone through quite a bit of flour this week.



This beer bread has my patented "asteroid" shape to it, but it rose a lot in the oven, so I think it's going to be pretty good.

Researching advanced bread-baking tactics this week, I came across these amusing videos of bread-baker Danielle Forestier teaching Julia Child how to make baguettes. Julia stands somewhat helplessly at the side of the screen, trying to think of useful things to say. She mostly fails. She also can't quite hide her thought bubble of "Oh wow, no way am I going to waste any time on this" in the first video clip when Danielle tells her she has to knead the dough 800 to 850 times.

"Do you count?" asks Julia.

"I just know how it looks," says Danielle, smiling patiently.

THIS WOMAN SEEMS NORMAL, BUT SHE'S ACTUALLY JUST AS LOONY AS EVERY OTHER DAMN BREAD BAKER I'VE EVER MET, thinks Julia. THANK GOODNESS I HAVE A STAFF.

1 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your bread photos make me very hungry. Your breads all look so yummyyum. Have you ever considered opening a bakery ???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home