PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Thursday, March 27, 2008

[New York]: The Ginger Beer Factory

Unable to fit livestock into my Manhattan apartment, I continue to manage microbiota. Last week's ginger beer project proved highly successful. I used this recipe.

First, I put a cup of water, a teaspoon of grated ginger (peel and all) and a teaspoon of sugar into a tupperware and covered it with a cheesecloth. Every two days I added another teaspoon of sugar and another of ginger. Over six days, it went from looking like this:



to this:



Okay, maybe you can't really tell the difference. But it's more bubbly in the second picture, which means that the wild yeasts on the surface of the ginger root have come to life and begun eating the sugar. This means you can start bottling: boil up a whole lot of sugar, ginger, and lemons, strain the starter into your big pot once it has cooled, and bottle:



Over the next week and a half, the yeasts gradually eat the sugar and produce carbon dioxide and alcohol. If you open the bottle after 8 days, it's fizzy and sweet. If you open it after about 12 days, it's fizzier, less sweet, and a very little bit alcoholic. Very tasty.

1 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been trying in vain to make a spicy ginger beer. I WAS addicted to Stewarts ginger beer but the sissy palates of America got their politicaly correct woosy way and prevailed on Stewrt to quit making it. Well I have tried several recidpes but all trun sour and alcoholic. Very nice head, but undrinkale. I am trung the above recipe which seems like one I saw on youtube(herb mentor series) Why am I getting alcohol. Should I peel the roots? How much root to make it HOT!!! SPicy..not for kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home