PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, May 05, 2008

[New York]: Ugh, how one's heroes betray one

I grew up on Carl Hiaasen's hilariously, ridiculously bitter environmentalist satires of evil developers in South Florida. And now I find out he wrote a book about how obsessed he is with golf???

And what's his excuse?
“The great irony is that golf courses are becoming the last bit of wildlife refuge we have,” he said. “I saw a bobcat on a golf course once, and I don’t know that there’s anyplace else you could do that now.”

Nope, that's not going to do it for me, Carl. In fact, um... I have another explanation...could it be that the bobcat was on the golf course because heinous developments such as golf courses had just eaten up the last tiny shred of habitat it had left???

{{scream of rage}}

2 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger Jean said...

I'm with you, Hannah. I love Hiaasen's books but lauding a golf course as a wildlife refuge when they drench those places with pesticides and herbicides to maintain the totally unnatural grass? What a let down.

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in a rural community where many old farmers are selling their farms to developers because their sons do not want to farm . Our neighbor decided to turn some of his farmland into a golf course instead of selling it to developers. Hub plays and works at the course, and we walk there in the winter when it's closed. It is home to lots of wildlife..deer, fox, squirrels, geese, etc. Turning the land into a golf course saved the land by saving it from development. My sister and I just inherited our parents' farm and are in the process of trying to have it put into the farm preservation program.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home