PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, October 27, 2008

Melinama does Illustration Friday: "Repair," aka 'Art for the New Depression.'

While Mark worked on his projects, I sat and tried to repair the 28 impressions I had pulled from my four block prints. I couldn't get even one perfect print. Some were over-inked and the ink oozed into the little valleys; sometimes I pressed too hard with the press and ink squeezed all over the place.


It was extremely disheartening. On the other hand, I'm a rank beginner. Surely things have got to look up.

I like the idea, though, of these postcard-sized (4x6) pictures with proverbs suited to the new era. They have always been my favorite sayings. I think maybe I'm psychically more suited to a Depression than to flush times.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Rosalia Lerner said...

Great to publish these great works and sayigns.
I'm jewish and learning from you these clever thougths.
I'll visit you more often!!
Thanks Rosália

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger trowbridge chronicles said...

I like your unique wood cut style.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you make these available as postcards, I'll buy them. You're being way too hard on yourself about these prints. Excellent work!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Rui Sousa said...

Such a nice works you have here!
Congratulations and regards!
Rui Sousa (O temporário)

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger INDIGENE said...

Cool style and great prints!

www.indigeneartforms.blogspot.com

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Danielle Barlow said...

I LOVE woodblock prints, and these are no exception! One day I'll get round to trying it myself, but until then I shall just drool over other peoples prints!

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's impossible to press too hard with the press. It sounds like you are severely over-inking the blocks. It's surprising how little ink you actually need...when you roll it out with the inking roller it should be a very thin and fine uniform film with the sheen of silk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home