PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, November 24, 2008

Melinama does Illustration Friday: "Opinion."

I'm kind of getting the hang of this woodblock thing. I chose the quote and cut the lettering on Saturday, which left me all of my Sunday afternoon art time to think up an illustration and cut it. Most of my time was spent trying to figure out as I went along, which areas should be white and which black. Once you decide something is going to be white (cut out), there is no going back.

The design for this cut actually started with the back of the devil's head, lower left, because there was a big hard knot in the plywood there, and I didn't want to mess with it.

This quote is an extreme example of an opinion I myself held as a child. I thought it was so obvious which was the best choice at all times, I thought people disagreed just to spite me. I was older than I like to admit when I first had the exploding light of revelation in my head: "no, they actually like the other thing better."


Technorati Tags:

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Azulita said...

I am most impressed with your being able to complete a woodcut for an IF theme. Thanks for sharing a little about your process. And great take on the theme as well, I still sometimes have trouble realizing that others "actually like the other thing better."

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Connie said...

I agree! And this is a very complex woodblock; once back home, I may try to follow your example. Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home