PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Time Waster of the day: freerice.com

I can't believe I never heard of this before. FreeRice.com is an insidious time-suck: it provides multiple-choice answers to vocabulary definitions and each time you get one right it "donates 20 grains of rice through the UN World Food Program."

Favorite words I learned this morning:

Fulgurous: dazzling: amazingly impressive; suggestive of the flashing of lightning.

Ecdysiast: a stripper.

Recusant: nonconformist.

I thought it was cool that a supercilium is an eyebrow. That must be where supercilious comes from! Heh.

Word I kept not getting right even when it asked me again:

Levigate: grind into powder

I thought I had a good vocabulary but I can hardly squeak my way up to level 50 (of 60). I seem to be mainly stuck on level 47.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home