PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Menticia's letter to President Obama

My mentee is in a class called "AVID," which stands for "Advancement Via Individual Determination," here's a bit from their website:
AVID is a fourth- through twelfth-grade system to prepare students in the academic middle for four-year college eligibility. It has a proven track record in bringing out the best in students, and in closing the achievement gap... Typically, they will be the first in their families to attend college, and many are from low-income or minority families. AVID pulls these students out of their unchallenging courses and puts them on the college track: acceleration instead of remediation.
Everybody in her AVID class wrote a letter to Obama, and here is hers:

President Obama
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President Obama:

I am a 13-year-old Hispanic girl, and an eighth grader at Smith Middle School. Getting involved in school is something I enjoy doing, especially when it comes to sports. Being athletic is something I take as a challenge as well as a fun game. Challenging myself is something I like. Being known by my teachers as a great student-athlete is something I appreciate. Just by knowing there is somebody looking after you gives you more confidence and that helps me to achieve more.
I am sure there are many people who will watch you as president. These people voted for you because you will be a good president. Congratulations, I was hoped that you would win. I wish you best of luck on the years that await you. Good and bad things will happen in the next years, but I am confident that you will do a wonderful job.
In my AVID class we are reading a book called “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens”. It shows as how to keep organized and how to not let bad habits get in the way of our goals. I would suggest that you, Put first things first. By having lots of important things to do, you can’t do them all at the same time. For a start you can start with the promises that you made in your campaign. We the people have the confidence that you will do the best to make America better place.
Now that you are in charge you may have times that make you frustrated. That happens to me when I play sports. Don’t be a quitter is something I tell myself when I feel like doing that. I make sure I continue to participate and ask tons of questions until I understand everything. Not being a quitter is something I taught myself and it has helped to make me stronger. Believe in yourself.
Once again, I hope you enjoy being president, never quit, and remember that we are expecting you to do what is important to make our lives better.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home