PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, May 11, 2009

[Hannah]: We gots all kinds of problems

This chick cares more about flowers than.... well, words fail me. On the other hand, when I look at the flowers, I kind of like her taste.
Somewhere along the way, flower uncertainty had taken hold of me. I’m all over the map here. I’ve seriously considered anemones, but the chances are high that they will not be in season for our Saturday in September. Integrating hypericum berries has stayed on the list, but they’re more of an accent than a feature, and probably will be an accent for the bridesmaids, not for moi. I’ve even gone as far as to contemplate the bouquet stem, as you may remember.

The criteria for my bouquet included the following: that they be white, interesting, unique, and full of texture. Oh yeah, and in season in September, please!

All kidding aside, it’s really important to me that I have strong inspiration photos to take along with me when I meet with our florist in a couple of months. When someone else gets really excited, I quite often will agree with them… only to end up walking away with something that I don’t want. I tend to be too much of a people pleaser, and usually get taken in a completely different direction than the one I had originally wanted to go in. This is how I ended up with bright orange hair upon leaving a salon a few years back. I most definitely don’t want the equivalent of “Raggedy Ann hair” when my wedding bouquet is handed over to me.

When searching, I found three flowers that all come in white and fulfill all of my requirements: ranunculus, hydrangea, and dahlias. Through the magic of Google Images, I plugged ’ranunculus, hydrangea, and dahlia bouquet’ in the search field, and voila! Some great options came my way that were fluffy, white, and unique, using varied combinations of my desired flowers.


This crisis amused me too:
I need help with a decision. After that last flower post, I had a sudden change of heart. I get a little uneasy when this happens, because then I’m suddenly heading down a path that involves lots of back-and-forth with my vendor. In this instance, my florist. And I hate to seem flighty and indecisive—It doesn’t do anyone any good.

But, the feeling I got was so intense, I can’t ignore it. I started thinking that maybe I want more cream or white in my bouquet with hints of peach, instead of having an all-peach bouquet with touches of cream, which was my original plan. I am worried that the bouquet will disappear into my dress if it is too creamy, and white will be too stark against ivory. But, now I’m thinking the peach bouquet might not seem classic in 30 years. If I go cream and white, I can use a colored ribbon to add pop. Or, vice-versa, if I go for colored flowers. Give me your vote!

5 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Anonymous novelera said...

Yikes! The flowers certainly seem more important to this person than the groom.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Peach may not seem classic in 30 years????

This kind of bride is why there is a 1,000% markup on bridal services.

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous susanlynn said...

My younger ''no thrills'' daughter convinced me that I could make the bouquets for her wedding even though I had never done it before.I followed the instructions in a Martha Stewart book and practiced beforehand . They turned out great [and cheap]. She ordered the white roses online . We assembled the bouquets the day before and put them in the refrig. [We removed the leaves and the stems were held together with a rubberband and then wrapped in my white cloth dinner napkins secured with pearl hatpins and white and pale blue ribbon] The bouquets looked great and we received lots of compliments. My daughter and her hub are teachers and love to read. The centerpieces for the tables consisted of a big blue book topped by a plant in a blue and white Chinese pot next to clear glass vase with a candle inside. Her favors were Bacchi chocolates in chiffon with a quote about love attached [from a tiny daily calendar I had]....also very inexpensive.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger melinama said...

Susanlynn, how great! And inspiring. We can do this. As for centerpieces, I'm totally opposed to flowers. They stick up in people's faces and I want to take them off the table so I can see the guests on the other side.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

Aw, I like flowers on the table (though susanlynn, I love your daughter's idea too!) Maybe we can create bouquets that are very low and short (this is also reassuring to me, as a clumsy person, that there is less likelihood I will knock them over)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home