PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, July 13, 2009

A jet-lag (almost) disaster...

Writing from right next to the window in my daughter's cousin's apartment in Paris. We are poaching an unsecured wireless connection but it only works if the chair is at precisely the right angle...

I took a nonstop flight which left Charlotte at 4:30 on Saturday afternoon and got into Charles deGaulle airport at 6:30 Sunday morning. That meant that right about the time I might have been ready to go to sleep on Saturday, the pilot was telling us we'd soon be beginning our descent - oh, and it was morning.

It was a little chilly and almost-raining in Paris yesterday. I couldn't check into my hotel until 2 pm so I stumbled around, dizzy, for almost eight hours. I went to an open air market, attended mass at Notre Dame cathedral, sat in the Vosges park throwing baguette to the pigeons, and finally I could get into my room.

I woke up and it was light out. I thought it was Monday morning but imagine my horror when I saw it was 4 in the afternoon! That meant, not only had I missed my whole first day of class, but I had missed my rendezvous with Hannah and Derek - and Hannah hadn't been able to tell me the address of this flat, only that it was "near the cemetery." And she and Derek were already en route, and none of us had our cellphones.

I jumped out of bed, slammed all my things into my suitcase - almost tearing off a toenail in the process - and threw myself down the three flights of the narrow, steep staircase to the lobby.

In the lobby I apologized profusely to the concierge for sleeping through checkout time. She looked very confused. "But you only checked in two hours ago."

Oh, it was still Sunday. Sheepishly I apologized again for being such an idiot, went back upstairs and went to bed. Later I woke up, feeling much better, went out and found a nice cafe and sat eating a salad and watching tout le monde pass by.

5 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Anonymous susanlynn said...

Melinama~~~Thanks for sharing your first day in Paris, a place I've always dreamed of going. I hope that you will be able to post more of your Parisian adventures.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous novelera said...

Great to get a transcontinental blog post from you!

My first trip to Paris was San Francisco to London, polar route, with a connection London to Paris. The first flight was late. I got to Paris somehow, but with no luggage. I was in a ratty pair of loose jeans and a plaid shirt - good for trying to sleep on the flight. So my first night in Paris I looked like a hobo. While touring around the next day, still in hobo gear, my suitcase arrived to my room. While the airlines came up with toothbrush, shampoo etc, I was never so happy to see my own stuff.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger doris. said...

Disaster averted! Thank goodness!
Upon arrival, we never nap or sleep until the sun goes down. Jet lag is a ... pain.
Drink lots of water. Those long plane flights will dehydrate you.

 
At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Elisa said...

I really look foreward to read more of your experiences in Paris. Have a nice time there!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Cap'n Sylvia Sharkbait said...

Funny story! Ah, the joys of travel...and jet lag.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home