PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Superman the miniature horse is integrated into the herd

After being nagged for two years ("Jethro needs a friend") and having unsuccessfully tried a goat, I finally broke down and agreed when my friend Sam suggested his miniature horse, Superman.

I took Superman as partial payment for the website I built for Sam (if you need affordable mediation for divorce in Greensboro, NC Sam is your man, end of PSA) and he arrived, after many delays, Sunday morning.

It's been raining, mostly, since then, and Superman's been confined to the round pen to protect him from the wrath of Jethro the donkey. Superman's basic nature: "unperturbed." He just ploughed his way around the round pen munching while Jethro would periodically prance around outside and practice kicking him through the bars.

This morning I couldn't stand it any more, Superman looked bored, so I waited till Jethro was eating his favorite morning sweet food, and I unlocked the round pen.

Superman came shooting out, galloped (!) all over the place, and then Jethro came tearing out of the shed in pursuit.

It was soon clear that Jethro is, indeed, a coward. Though he would wildly kick, he was always a safe distance from the imperturbable dwarf (to me, Superman looks like a fat dachshund imperfectly transmogrified into an equid).


I didn't have the camera for that initial meet-and-greet. I just laughed as they tore up and down the hill and through the little patch of trees. Soon, to Jethro's disbelieving eyes, Superman was in the shed, rump (the danger zone) outward, munching the rest of the sweet feed. Jethro would come close and practice his kicks, but he never landed one... and Superman cleaned up all the treats... as you can tell by his build, he is successful at competing for resources.


I'm extremely pleased with this outcome. Jethro is a bully, the worst combination: bossy and cowardly. Maybe Superman will teach him a few things.

Superman's been living with a lot of big horses that weigh twice as much as Jethro, or more, so he is completely unfazed by my donkey's wild feignings.


So then, grunting, Superman lay down and had a roll in one of Jethro's many wallows.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

OH man! Jethro meets his match! I love it.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Mark said...

I am optomistic that these two animals will form a nice herd. I have doubts that the companionship will be a strong one but it could work out nicely for both of them. They share the same interests like eating and watching others work. They are curious about the numerous deer running on the oher side of the fence. What more is needed?

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger CherylNewMex said...

We have both donkeys and miniature horses aplenty here in Corrales. I hope Jethro and Superman will learn to live in peace. Is either a biter (of people I mean). The minis here vary greatly in temperament. Super's colors are so beautiful even if his physique isn't exactly statuesque. thanks for sharing the animal pictures.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Wow! I can't wait to see how Jethro the psychotic donkey gets along with Superman the phlegmatic miniature horse. Please let us know the progress.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I live at the edge of the city, so when I hit the road on my bicycle, I often head for the farmlands that start barely two blocks from my house. I often stop to rest beside pastures so I can watch the horses. It's possibly the most peaceful moment of my day, and I'm thankful I popped by your blog today for a similar, virtual visit. What a delight!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Jen said...

What a great introduction. Looking forward to how this relationship develops!

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous novelera said...

This was absolutely delightful to read. You're such a good writer! I was afraid at the beginning Jethro would hurt the miniature horse, but the outcome was great. I don't know what psychic rewards you get from Jethro, to be honest. He seems like a bad tempered pain in the you know what! Loved that the horse ate all his food with impunity.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The imperturbable dwarf, Jethro's wild feignings - loved reading this. This is some weird herd.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Stephe said...

I'm extremely pleased with this outcome. Jethro is a bully, the worst combination: bossy and cowardly. Maybe Superman will teach him a few things. LOL!

And then Superman takes it even further and rolls in Jethro's wallow? LMAO!

What a story.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Cap'n Sylvia Sharkbait said...

Hahaha!! I love this story, it totally cracked me up. Thank you so much for the laugh. I look forward to hearing more about the escapades of Jethro and Superman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home