PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Finally finished: my "Storm at Sea" quilt is quilted

This is the second of the two quilts I hand-pieced while my son was getting graduated from Wesleyan University and my daughter was getting married.

It took way longer to hand-quilt them than it did to sew them in the first place, and I finally gave up and used the machine to put the borders on. But in the middle, every single stitch was by hand - there were many hours of watching Univision telenovelas while stitching up and down and up and down...

Now I can get back to some of my other enthusiasms (like today's workshop on giant puppet making at the Hillsborough Arts Council).


Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger doris. said...

what a beautiful quilt! I don't hand piece, but I have hand-quilted. There is something very soothing about it.

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous susanlynn said...

My aunt made many handsewn quilts as gifts to family members . Hub and I received one as a wedding gift. Hub's grandmother [Mammy] sewed the quilt tops on the machine and then quilted them at the church social hall with the Ladies Quilt Society. She made quilts for my daughters...and told me that they shouldn't be used. Her instructions were to ''put them away and save them.'' For what?, I thought !!!! You are a true Renaissance woman CHF. You never fail to amaze me with all your intriguing pursuits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home