PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, August 06, 2010

The Little Loves that I've Forgot

Came upon this while looking for a title for my new Yiddish cd.

BALLADE OF FORGOTTEN LOVES

Some poets sing of sweethearts dead,
Some sing of true loves far away;
Some sing of those that others wed,
And some of idols turned to clay.
I sing a pensive roundelay
To sweethearts of a doubtful lot,
The passions vanished in a day--
The little loves that I've forgot.

For, as the happy years have sped,
And golden dreams have changed to gray,
How oft the flame of love was fed
By glance, or smile, from Maud or May,
When wayward Cupid was at play;
Mere fancies, formed of who knows what,
But still my debt I ne'er can pay--
The little loves that I've forgot.

O joyous hours forever fled!
O sudden hopes that would not stay!
Held only by the slender thread
Of memory that's all astray.
Their very names I cannot say.
Time's will is done, I know them not;
But blessings on them all, I pray--
The little loves that I've forgot.

Sweetheart, why foolish fears betray?
Ours is the one true lovers' knot;
Note well the burden of my lay--
The little loves that I've forgot.

Arthur Grissom

1 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Blogger KBL said...

I'm realizing how much I've missed keeping up w/your lovely posts. I do so love the things you post. Thank you for sharing this one as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home