PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

There are still a few real farms in Orange County NC

Roger Tate farm - CSA in Efland, Orange County NC
Today I visited Roger Tate's farm in Efland, NC. For a few years he has been supplying the orchardgrass hay Jethro and Superman hoover down every day. I feel much better about this than the hay I bought that was trucked in from New York state. I haven't tried it myself but I can see Jethro and Superman find it quite tasty.

The Tate family has been farming in this area for more than 200 years; Roger and his father transitioned from tobacco to hay and then grass-fed beef several years ago. They also have chickens.

Under the name Harmony Hill Farm, Roger Tate and his wife Lisa are getting into CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). (My daughter Hannah was a member of a CSA coop in New York City.) People pay a certain flat fee (this coming year the fee at Roger's farm is $500) and this pre-payment allows the farming to begin. Then, every week for 24 weeks subscribers get a box of produce grown on the farm. For locavores who don't have the time for a lot of gardening, there's no better arrangement.

Email Harmony Hill Farm or call 336-269-1172 to get further information and sign up. You can also "friend" Harmony Hill Farm on Facebook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home