PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, July 02, 2011

In which we visit a flock swap, then drive to Sanford NC and buy pygmy goats

I've been looking for suitable goats for a couple of weeks. Today a friend and I went to the "flock swap" at Burlington Tractor Supply. There were no goats. But it was a splendid NC event.








So I was going to give up and go home but my friend Paul had his fancy phone and we looked on Craigs List and there was a guy selling goats in Sanford (an hour away) so we went down there and I bought two pygmy goats. The dad and his son were in business together. One of the goats was the dad's goats and one was the kid's, so they split the profits.





I'd made a goat cage out of cattle panels and cable ties and used a rachet tie-down to secure it in the back of my truck. The goats settled right down for the ride home.



We off-loaded the cage by the side of our driveway and Paul, my son Ezra, and I fell into kind of a stupor feeding leaves to the goats. We were there a long time doing not much of anything. In our defense, it was quite a hot day.





Then, since the goat halters were too big for these pygmy goats, I carried them one by one to their new home. When I got back from carrying the first one and dumping it into its pen, the second one had (surprise) escaped and I chased him for a while and then carried him over and they commenced to chewing. However, they are far too small to make much of a dent in the weed population.

2 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger Alma said...

Great pics, expecially the father and son business associates, with their matching "suits!"

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Fern Driscoll said...

What adorable goats! Too bad you weren't looking for poultry - looks like you could have had any amount of that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home